X-Mouse Button Control is a free tool for Windows that allows you to re-configure and expand the capabilities of your mouse.
Latest version Portable version mirror mirror [ Whats new? | Language Packs | Awards ]
Please be aware that X-Mouse Button Control is a hobby project. It is not affiliated with any mouse or trackball device manufacturer. While I can not guarantee to provide any level of support, I try my best, free time permitting!
X-Mouse Button Control (XMBC) allows you to create application and window specific profiles. This in turn, allows you to re-configure your mouse behaviour for individual applications or windows. For each profile you can also configure up to 10 ‘layers’ of different button configurations which you can switch between using hot-keys or mouse buttons. By default, profiles are automatically activated as the mouse moves over the defined window or application. This has many uses, for example:
- Changing the behaviour of the mouse over certain windows, such as making the mouse wheel change volume when hovering over the system tray or you-tube video.
- In games which do not natively support the extended, 4th and 5th mouse buttons, you can map keys to each button.
XMBC allows you to change the behaviour of the mouse buttons and scroll wheel. The extensive list of functions available to map to your mouse buttons includes options such as:
- Send any keys using the ‘simulated keystrokes’ editor
- Cording (shifting/combining) buttons perform different actions
- Timed button actions, that change depending how long you hold a button down for
- Launch any windows application
- Clipboard control (Copy/Cut/Paste)
- Media control (Play/Pause/Stop/Volume/Mute etc.)
- Capture screen (or active window) image to clipboard
- Click-Drag [Sticky buttons/keys]
- Click-Drag [Sticky buttons/keys]
- Various support for specific Windows operating systems, such as Flip3D in Vista, ModernUI/Metro in Windows 8 and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10!
- And much, much more!
For more information about using and configuring X-Mouse Button Control, please check out the user guide (mirror). There is also a German and Russian version of the user guide (note that they may not be completely up to date with the English version as they are provided by friendly users!).
X-Mouse Button Control currently supports Windows XP, 7, 8, 10 & 11 as well as Windows Server 2003, 2003 R2, Vista, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016, 2019 & 2022 (GUI versions). It was originally designed to run natively on x64 editions of Windows but it is fully supported on 32bit editions too!The installation determines what version is required (x64 or x86) automatically during installation.
Please note that donations are just that. They are not intended to be used to persuade me to add new features or provide extra support – I do as much as I can for free and don’t expect donations (although they are appreciated). You can donate with PayPal using the donate button.
You can also donate using Bitcoin using the button below:
The installer will automatically close an existing instance of XMBC so you do not need to close or uninstall an old version before installing the latest.
X-Mouse Button Control is configured to run automatically when you log on to Windows. This can be changed using MSConfig or the start-up tab in Task Manager on Windows 8 or later.
- A mouse and driver that supports up to 5 buttons. NOTE: If your mouse has 5 buttons but the 4th and 5th buttons don’t do anything in by default – then XMBC may not be for you. This software relies on the driver to send the default 4th and 5th mouse button messages which usually default to BACK/NEXT in browsers and other programs. Having said that you can still remap the standard 2 buttons and scroll wheel.
- A compatible version of Microsoft Windows. X-Mouse Button Control supports all 32bit (x86) and 64bit (x64) editions of Windows from Windows XP to 10, including Windows Server editions!
- I have moved all the FAQ’s to the forum to keep things consistent. Please take a look at this thread
- If your question is not answered in the FAQ, please take a look through the forums and see if your question has been asked there.If not, sign up and ask away!
- Please be aware that I have had many requests for XMouse but unfortunately I have also have far less time these days to work on it.I am primarily focusing on bugs that stop current functionality working rather than adding new functionality.
Screenshots (Click to enlarge)
Contact me if you have any questions/queries. Preferably, sign up and discuss any problems in the Highrez Support Forums You can also try my new Discord server Alternatively you can try emailing me at but PLEASE be aware that my anti-spam is quite aggressive so if you don’t get a reply maybe the message got binned!
Please note that whilst the author actively runs and tests this software on several machines and different versions of windows, no warranty or guarantee on the performance of the software or that this software is free from bugs, is provided. Neither the author nor anyone else involved in the production, testing or delivery of this software shall be liable for any damages of any type. All downloads are checked for known viruses at the time of publishing.